From the New York Times (yes that New York Times)
In his news conference, Mr. Bremer listed what he called America's achievements (although many of his comparisons were from immediately after the war, when services were far worse than before it began): 40,000 police officers on the streets; 13,000 new reconstruction projects; more electricity generated now than before the war; 1,500 schools renovated; 22 million vaccinations; 4,900 Internet connections — not to mention freedom of speech, virtually nonexistent under Mr. Hussein, and an end to torture, which was commonplace.
"I am optimistic," Mr. Bremer said. "We have made an enormous amount of progress here in six months, more than I think anybody could have safely predicted, in many places beyond what our plan was."
The changes are visible. The streets are cleaner. Shops are flooded with goods pouring into Iraq now that the borders are open again. Those who have jobs — and tens of thousands are working for the Americans, directly or indirectly — are largely paid better than they were.
A recent study found that 45% of the American people felt that the media was too liberal. Wonder if the New York Times actually read that report. Reporting good news from Iraq, along with bad news? I'm shocked, totally shocked. Usually it is just the other way around, they only report on the bad news.
Now before anyone says anything, I have never claimed the Iraq situation was perfect, but it has been improving steadily since the end of major combat operations in May. The New York Times, by and large, has been ignoring the good news and reporting only the bad. That's not objective journalism, that's bias. I have no problem with the bad news being reported, but let's balance it with some good news, is all I, and other conservatives, have been saying.
via (Right-Thinking)
No comments:
Post a Comment